Principal: Jannette Wright
BALDWIN ARTS AND ACADEMICS MAGNET (6-8)
410 S. MCDONOUGH ST., MONTGOMERY 36104
About the School
About The School
Baldwin Arts and Academics Magnet
Baldwin Magnet houses two separate magnet schools--Baldwin Arts and Baldwin Academics. Baldwin Academics is designed to provide opportunities for middle school students to pursue challenging academic work in the areas of computer technology, research experiences, foreign languages, and intensified classroom and community engagements. Baldwin Arts offers a middle school experience infused with the arts. Practicing artists provide instruction in the areas of band, strings, choral music, classical guitar, creative writing, dance, drama, piano, and visual arts.
Vision and Mission Statement
Baldwin's mission is to provide middle school students with challenging curriculum and learning experiences to produce motivated, conscientious and well-rounded citizens.
Baldwin Arts and Academics Magnet School's mission is to foster academic success, nurture artistic talent, and encourage social development by providing middle school students.
Baldwin is a place where students reach their full potential, both academically and artistically.
Baldwin Dress Code
Please read these guidelines carefully. All students are required to adhere to the dress code.
Students will not be required to wear their uniforms during virtual learning. Students will still need to attend virtual meetings in appropriate attire. Please see the following for guidelines on appropriate dress code during virtual learning. This can also be found in the Baldwin Parent/Student Handbook
1. Shorts, skirts, dresses must not be shorter than the top of the wearer's knee. Slits or splits in skirts must meet the top of the knee requirement.
2. Clothing which is too tight, revealing, or distracting, may not be worn. Clothing must fit properly. Pants, with or without spandex, which are too tight are not allowed.
3. Insignias, button, and clothing which promote or refer to tobacco products, drugs, alcohol, vulgarities, violence, and other immoral or illegal behavior are prohibited. Shirts with slogans or pictures that could be considered derogatory and/or inflammatory are not permitted.
4. No nylon-type soccer shorts or sheer nylon jogging pants.
5. No boxer shorts or pajamas worn as outerwear.
6. No clothing with rips or holes.
7. No unhemmed and frayed pants or shorts, even if they were purchased that way.
8. No shredded clothing.
9. Pants must be worn at the waist. No sagging.
10. No sleeveless tops which expose undergarments. Tank tops with narrow shoulders and/or spaghetti straps, halter,s bare midriffs, or tube tops are NOT allowed.
11. No sunglasses, hats, caps, bandannas, visors, or any type of head gear (besides appropriately sized bows and hairbands) may be worn.
12. No pierced jewelry worn in places other than one's ears. Hoops may not be larger than one inch. Jewelry with spikes or heavy chains or medallions, removable dental grills, heavy bracelets and large finger rings are prohibited.
13. No athletic tank tops unless worn over a tee shirt.
14. Belts must be buckled appropriately. Only one belt may be worn with attire.
- The school principal/administrator will be the final authority on appropriate school dress and any exceptions.
The Baldwin Uniform Guidelines coincide with MPS dress code in a more detailed and school specific form: The Baldwin Dress Code follows:
Girls: Dark Purple or white golf shirts—short or long sleeved –may have a banded waist, white button-down shirts, white shirts with short sleeves, 3/4 length sleeves, or long sleeves. All shirts must have collars and no logos, unless it is the Baldwin logo which is not required.
Boys: Dark Purple or white golf shirts—short or long sleeved, white button-down shirts. All shirts must have collars and no logos, unless it is the Baldwin logo, which is not required.
For both boys and girls: white long- sleeved t-shirts and white turtlenecks may be worn under short-sleeved golf shirts. Shirts should fit properly and not be oversized. Shirts do not have to be tucked in if appropriate length; overly long shirts should be tucked in.
The Baldwin logo may be embroidered on shirts; however, this is not a requirement. Several uniform companies in Montgomery have the Baldwin logo and will embroider shirts.
Girls: Khaki shorts, skorts that look like skirts from the front and back, skirts, jumpers (all must adhere to the MPS policy requiring these to be no higher that knee length from the crease in the back of the knee) Capri pants, and long pants. All pants must be of regular cut, with no “skinny pants” or leggings made to look like pants. (Pants and shorts must be uniform-type pants.) Plaid (color “2M”) skorts that look like skirts from the front and back, skirts, and jumpers may be worn, also.
Boys: Khaki shorts and long pants. Pants must fit properly; they may not be oversized or sag. (Pants must be uniform-type pants.)
For both boys and girls: No athletic shorts. If shirts are tucked in, belts must be worn, if pants or skirts have belt loops.
Purses, Totes, and/or Bags: Students may carry purses to transport personal items; however, purses may be no larger than 10”X8”X2”. Students may not carry back-pack style purses.
For both boys and girls: Shoes must cover the foot. Athletic shoes, white or black preferred. Shoes such as loafers, flats, “boat” shoes are permissible, as long as they cover the foot. Boots made to wear during inclement weather (such as rubber rain boots) may be worn to school; however, they must be stored in the student’s locker during the day.
For both boys and girls: White, black, light or dark gray, or dark purple sweaters (crewneck and v-neck), sweater vests, sweatshirts, zipped front hoodies,fleece jackets. No brand logos are allowed on outerwear. All may be embroidered with the school logo. School logos are not required. Outerwear with brand logos may be worn to school if stored in lockers during the day.
Socks/Tights, Ties, Hair Ribbons, Accessories, etc: Socks and tights: solid color white, black, or flesh colored. Dance students may not wear their dance class tights under skirts. Ties may be worn (must be tied correctly) but are not required—solid color dark purple or plaid 2M. Hair ribbons should be solid color: black, white, purple, khaki, or plaid 2M. Hair bows may be worn, if small (no large hair bows) and the appropriate color. Students may not wear bandanas (see the dress code in the MPS Code of Student Behavior.) Head bands may not be worn on the forehead. No large jewelry, such as earrings or necklaces, may be worn by boys or girls.
Special Occasions: On special occasions, designated by the principal, students may wear a Baldwin t-shirt that has not been altered to look different than intended. On these special days, students may also wear khaki bottoms with Baldwin t-shirts.
The student's email is located through Gmail. Students must be logged into their Google account in order to access their account.
The student email is: Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Safety Plan