Steve Ballard, BS, MS. Ed
The Engineering Academy is a four year sequence of courses which, when combined with traditional mathematics and science courses, introduces students to the scope, rigor, and discipline of engineering prior to entering a four year college engineering discipline. The academy allows students to make informed choices about opportunities in engineering and provides them with an advantage over other students who would be entering the engineering educational track at the post-secondary level, and taking engineering courses for the first time. Students enrolled in the Engineering Academy utilize computer skills and software to design products and solve problems as they explore different areas of engineering.
- Numerous Alabama TSA Advisor of The Year awards
- 2002-Present - Alabama TSA Executive Council Member
- 2002-Present - Alabama TSA State Officer Advisor
- 2011-ITEEA Alabama Teacher of the Year
- 2003 and 2007 -STEM AACTE Teacher of the Year
Students in the Engineering Academy must take four of the five following courses:
- Introduction to Robotics
- Basic Programming for Engineers
- Engineering Applications
- Principles of Engineering -PLTW
- Robotic Applications
The Engineering Academy's goals:
- Recruit and encourage students to pursue careers in engineering and engineering technology.
- Expand the participation of women and minorities in the study of engineering.
- Optimize the quantity and quality of engineers entering the American workforce.
- Develop a technologically enriched background.
- Expose students to the various fields of engineering.
- Heighten an appreciation for the correlation between classroom, lab, and field studies.
- Enhance students' written and oral communication skills.
- Strengthen a solid basis of problem solving and teamwork skills.
The Technology Student Association (TSA): A student organization devoted exclusively to the needs of students interested in technology. Members learn through exciting competitive events, leadership opportunities and much more. http://www.tsaweb.org/
VEX Robotics: A student robotics competition that allows for engaging ways to integrate all facets of STEM education into the classroom and for student competition. Head-to-head competition is a way to capture students' attention. http://www.